Tuesday 2 September 2014

Desert love - Wadi Rum

In 2010 I had a whole new experience.... I went on an organised tour! Normally I travel independently, but this time we decided on a group thing. Mainly because we only had one week, it was during a school holiday and we were two women going to Jordan. It was... interesting ;-)


But on that trip I also discovered something else: I really like deserts (desserts too, but that's not for this blog!)

The vast emptyness, not found in my everyday life, really hits home for me.


On our 6th day we went to Wadi Rum. Wadi translates roughly a s'a dry riverbed that contains water only during times of heavy rain'. This is why there are some trees and bushes in this part of the desert.


We went for a drive, visited ancient rock paintings and could climb a high sand dune (which I didn't, it was over 40'C!)
After that we spent the night in tents. In the morning some of our grpup went on camel to the closest village, where we joined them.


For me, this was the beginning of my desert love. The amazing colour schemes, the changing light, the extremes and oh my... the night sky!

2 comments:

  1. Jeeee! Ik had nog helemaal gemist dat je ook begonnen bent! Wat leuk!! Ik ga je volgen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik ben er ook nog geen ruchtbaarheid aan het geven... eerst eens even een beetje uitproberen wat ik er mee wil, en hoe het me bevalt en zo (eigenlijk moet je mijn allereerste post dan ook even lezen... hint!)
      En wat leuk: ben je mijn allereerste volger! :-D

      En... als je tips hebt: ik hoor ze graag!

      Delete

Please enter your name before commenting
Comment are subject to moderation